Mr. Media is recorded live before a studio audience of TV characters with no interest in their voluptuous blonde co-stars… in the NEW new media capital of the world… St. Petersburg, Florida!
(UPDATE, JUNE 7, 2015: Christian Borle won the Tony Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Something Rotten on Broadway. Congratulations, Christian!) Now that we’ve had a chance to see NBC’s new musical drama “Smash” and now that it lives up to all the hype, all kinds of new questions have popped up:
• Megan Hilty or Katherine McPhee?
• Or both (Somebody’s gotta understudy, right?)
• Will there be many in-jokes about Spider-Man: Turn Out the Dark?
CHRISTIAN BORLE podcast excerpt: “We are allowed to say Smash Season One ends with us taking the Marilyn Monroe musical out of town. To Boston.”
• If there are Broadway in-jokes of any kind, will anyone outside of Manhattan get them?
• How many Broadway songwriters does it take to screw in a light bulb? (Answer below.)
Joining me today to talk about “Smash” is one of its stars, Christian Borle.
Borle plays Tom Levitt, writing partner of Debra Messing’s character, as they create and guide their new musical about Marilyn Monroe through spider’s web of a new Broadway show.
Although his name may be new to most TV viewers, Borle is already a familiar presence on Broadway and the national theater scene.
Christian Borle Facebook
(Answer: It’s not up to the songwriter; it’s the producer who does the screwing around here!)